Bariatric Surgery is a surgical process to help the patient lose excess weight, which is not attainable by other means like diet, medication, or exercise. It is like the last resort for obese or morbidly obese individuals to avoid being affected by other life-threatening health problems that can arise due to increasing body weight.
It is a surgery performed to treat the problem of obesity. Bariatric surgery cost in India starts from around INR 200000 and can go up to INR 50000 depending on factors like the city of hospitalization and pre-operative treatment details.
What are the Conditions that Make One eligible for Bariatric Surgery?
Before the surgery, there are specific crucial tests and examinations that the patients will have to undergo. These tests aim to ensure the patient’s safety during the operation and later in life. However, there are certain conditions that you have to meet to undergo surgery. To undergo bariatric surgery, you need to fulfil the following medical guidelines;-
- Your BMI (Body Mass Index) must be 40 or above
- If the BMI is between 35 to 39, which is known as obesity along with other health-related problems like high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, or severe sleep apnea.
- And in some instances, if the BMI is 30 to 34, but there are other health-related severe issues due to being overweight, you can qualify for this bariatric surgery.
Tests That Are Necessary Before Bariatric Surgery
The tests are essential to properly evaluate the strength and stamina of the patients so that only suitable candidates are selected. It is crucial to meet desired outcomes post-surgery. Some necessary tests that an individual willing to undergo the bariatric test has to get done are listed below:-
- Barium Swallow Test- In this test, doctors will give you a contrast to drink. It will help to visualize the rapid sequence of events occurring in the body after swallowing the contrast. This test effectively detects the severity of acid reflux and other complications in the upper gastrointestinal tract.
- EKG- the next test to follow is usually an EKG. The test is done to measure the electrical activity of the heart. A cardiac echo is a kind of ultrasound done to evaluate the functioning and structure of the chambers and valves of the heart.
- Exercise Stress Test– This is another crucial test that needs to be conducted before the decision to undergo the bariatric test is finalized. It involves walking on a treadmill or riding an exercise bike. These are done to evaluate cardiac function using an EKG and blood pressure checker. In some situations, the patients are unable to do these exercises. Then, they might have to get a pharmacologic stress test. In this test, medication is given to increase the blood flow in the heart to create the same situation and changes in the heart after the exercises.
- Ultrasound- An ultrasound of the gallbladder may be suggested in case of any pain experienced in the right upper portion of the abdomen. This will help to detect any inflation in the gallbladder or gallstones. This quick, non-invasive test will help detect any abnormalities in the gallbladder so they can be removed during bariatric surgery.
- Thyroid and Complete Blood Count- Lab tests include complete blood count, level of haemoglobin and vitamin, and thyroid test. Other tests may include pulmonary function tests, sleep studies, echocardiogram, cardiology evaluation, and others as may be found relevant and necessary by the doctors.
- Psychological Evaluation- This is one of the most decisive steps in the pre-operative preparation for patients. The person about to undergo bariatric surgery must be mentally prepared to undergo the same. Patients need to undergo this test to know about any past mental disorder symptoms or instances of depression. And also to know about eating disorders, alcohol dependence, smoking, or any prior attempt to lose weight.
- Nutritional Evaluation- It is also essential to educate the patients about important nutrition and guide them toward slow dietary modifications that they must abide by after the surgery. Also, helping them to have manageable expectations about the surgery.
These tests are essential and mandatory before deciding on getting a bariatric operation done. The tests will evaluate the medical and mental condition of the patients to take care of any complications before going for surgery.
So, if you are planning to go for this life-changing surgery or any of your close ones are considering the same, please make sure to do all the homework properly and then decide. All the tests mentioned above are essential and will help your doctors suggest whether to undergo surgery and whether your body is ready for the change. Contact Max Healtcaregroup for further guidance.
Read More Blogs: