Exams that are proctored are timed and administered while your computer’s desktop, webcam video, and audio are being observed by proctoring software. The proctoring service receives and reviews the data captured by the program. Proctored exams are a great way to test your knowledge without the stress of travelling to a testing centre. You can take your exam at home, in a quiet room where you won’t be interrupted by friends or family, and with the reassurance that no one will come into the room while you are doing the exam. Here’s how it works:
An online proctored exam is administered via webcam, microphone, and specialised software that locks down your computer while you test.
Once you have registered, your test will be administered by a proctor. The proctor will ask you to download the software and answer a few questions about yourself and your background. Then, you will turn on your webcam and microphone so the proctor can see what is happening in front of the computer screen. Students can take help with proctored exams from the course material that the instructor is provided in the class.
Finally, once everything is set up, each exam consists of two parts: one where they ask questions in multiple-choice (MCQ) format and one where they ask open-ended questions that require deeper thought processes or creative thinking skills.
6 Steps to Take an Online Proctored Exam
You must have an active webcam and a student’s ID to test
To take the exam, you must have an active webcam and a student ID to test. The webcam can be any video camera that can connect via the internet. Some laptops come with webcams built-in; others may require using a USB adapter or another device. You will need to ensure your webcam is working before starting your exam. If you find any issues, then troubleshoot before beginning the software setup.
The exam software locks down the computer to prevent cheating
It’s important to remember that the software locks down your computer. It does this so that you cannot cheat by using technology or other people to help yourself with the exam. This means that no matter how long it takes, whether sitting in a quiet place or alone, nothing outside your brain can help you.
The exam software also monitors:
- Webcam (some students use webcams)
- Microphones (students sometimes talk while taking exams)
Suppose these monitors detect any suspicious activity on a webcam or microphone. In that case, they will disable those features until the student stops what they are doing and returns to normal activity levels again (e.g., if someone was talking loudly). The same thing happens when an exam taker loses focus during an exam—the screens go blank for just one second before returning to view again once we regain our composure!
Each exam is proctored using proctoring software
Each exam is proctored using proctoring software. This locks down your computer and prevents you from accessing the Internet, so you can be sure that no one else is accessing your computer.
When taking the exam, you must have a webcam, microphone, and student ID. The exam room should be quiet with no distractions (no music playing or conversations).
Before taking your exam, you must check the computer to ensure your hardware is compatible
It is necessary to have a working computer for the exam because proctored exams are timed, and you do not have the time to resolve the efficiency issues of your system during the exam.
You will need to install a plug-in on your computer. This plug-in will verify that it’s compatible with the proctored exam software and that your webcam and microphone are working properly.
You will be required to do the exam in a quiet room where you will not be interrupted
The online proctored exam does not afford any disturbance. Your computer and other devices must be secure and have an appropriate camera, microphone, and webcam.
To ensure this is the case when taking your exam:
- Use a wired network connection rather than Wi-Fi. Using Wi-Fi can open you to eavesdropping by other users on the same network or hackers who may try to hack into your account from afar with software installed on their machine that intercepts all network traffic sent over that device’s device connection.
- Ensure that all programs used during exam preparation have been updated before taking any exams at this site for security reasons; otherwise, there could be issues with them being able to connect correctly due to possibly being outdated versions of themselves. It might cause problems later down the line when trying to take another exam using the same software again after successfully completing one first time round without issue.
Online proctored exams are easy, but you do need proper equipment and privacy
- Online proctored exams are easy to take, but you will need the proper equipment and privacy.
- You should have a webcam and microphone that can be connected to your computer. If you don’t have one already, now is the time to buy one!
- You should also ensure that any room where you’re taking an exam has no distractions, such as people talking in other rooms or kids running around outside playing with their toys.
- Make sure everything that is required for the exam is ready before it gets started.
To take an exam online, you must consider all the above mentioned requirements. This can never be done without knowing it. Online proctored exams are accessible and convenient, but they must be arranged and organized before time to get better results.